Transnet is a state owned enterprise that was founded in 1990. The company employs over 50 000 people throughout South Africa and specializes in the following fields.
- Railway Freight – Our economy is hugely reliant on transnets railway infrastructure to deliver raw materials, goods and other resources required for industry
- Ports – Imports and Exports by sea also play a large part in our economic growth and Transnet have built Ports that can manage that demand.
The importance of the company can not be understated. Like most governmental organizations their success or failure will greatly impact the lives of ordinary South Africans.
Transnet always seems to be expanding and with that growth comes a real need for qualified professionals….hence the Transnet Bursary.
Fields of study
Transnet have a large number of physical assets such as freight trains, port cranes etc. These assets are located nationwide and require a large team of really smart people to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
These smart people are generally called engineers 🙂 and Transnet needs many of them.
Thus the fields of study offered by the bursary are just for budding young engineers.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechatronic Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy)
- Electronic Engineering
Its basically an engineering bursary.
Applicants are required to fill out the bursary form that can be found on Transnet’s website. Learners with a good academic record will then be required to attend an interview with the bursary department. If that goes well and you are physically up to working for the company then you stand a good chance of getting the bursary.
- Only South Africans will be considered
- Applicants must at least have a 5 rating for both Mathematics and Physical Science
What does the bursary cover?
Transnet is pretty lenient on where you can study. As long as its a undergraduate degree in one of the above mentioned fields then you can study at your nearest University.
The bursary covers….
- Tuition Fees
- Registration Fees
- Exam Fees
- Meal Allowance
- Book Allowance
- Experiential Training (Primarily provided during University holidays)
- Awarded bursaries are reviewed each year and can be cancelled if you do not perform academically.
- You will be required to work back each year that you have been sponsored by the bursary
- If your bursary is cancelled by breach of contract then you or your guardian will be liable to settle all outstanding University fees
In short, pass all your subjects and stay out of trouble and you should be fine.
Completed application forms must be submitted to the Transnet bursary office before the 31 July.
Physical Address: Room 4206 Carlton Center 150 Commissioner Street Johannesburg
Postal Address: PO Box 72501 Parkview South Africa 2122
Contact Details: 011 308 3000
Please contact Transnet directly for updates on their bursary program