The Funza Lushaka Bursary is aimed at giving eligible students a bursary to acquire a full teaching qualification. After completion of studies the recipient will then have to teach or work at a Provincial Department of Education for the same amount of time as the bursary sponsorship.
- Only South Africans are considered
- Applicant should already have acceptance into a recognized higher institution
- Applicant should have a good academic record
- Applicant must be willing to take up teaching post for the amount of years that the bursary was recieved
- Preference given to applicants from rural areas or previously disadvantaged backgrounds
How the Funza Lushaka bursary works
The bursary allows you to obtain a bachelors degree (University) or a bachelor of technology (Technikon) in a field that is required by the Department of Education.
Once you have your qualification you will then be required to complete a one year Post Graduate in Education certificate before being employed as a teacher for the stipulated time period
You firstly need to apply and be accepted for either a teaching qualification (B Ed) or another qualification (BSc, BTech,BA) that has at least one major course in a priority sector.
Only then can you apply for the Funza Lushaka bursary online.
What the bursary covers
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation and meals
- Books and learning materials
- Small living allowance for other monthly expenses
- The bursary is awarded on a yearly basis, so each bursary holder must re-apply every year
- The bursary may be extended by one year for additional courses or subjects
- The bursary must be repaid if the recipient fails to qualify, fails to apply or take up a teaching post at a public school or fails to finish the required working period.
For more info on the bursary, priority areas and to apply you can visit the Funza Lushaka website
Please contact Funza Lushaka directly for updates on their bursary program