The Anglo American company believes in equal opportunity and aims to assist in stabilizing the economy, while also reducing unemployment within South Africa. They do their part in many ways and the learnership program is one of those. With this program young talented individuals receive the chance to make a difference in their lives, and become part of the skilled workforce of South Africa.
What Does the Anglo American Learnership Program Offer?
Candidates that meet all requirements and are successfully granted a learnership will receive practical and theoretical training.
Most of their learnership opportunities will be in one of the following disciplines unless otherwise stated:
- Auto Electricians
- Measurement Control
- Diesel Mechanic
Costs Covered by the Anglo American Learnership
Candidates will be placed in operations within their area, as the company does not provide accommodation or transportation. Successful candidates will however, receive a monthly stipend. Details will be discussed with selected applicants.
Selected candidates will be required to sign an agreement with the company and adhere to all terms as stipulated. Candidates must also be prepared to work where they are placed, this includes plants, underground operations or surface operations. Candidates must also be prepared to work shifts as required.
You applicants must be South African citizens with a valid ID document, as well as a lawful Matric certificate. Applicants will also be required to hold a NCV level 3, or N2 with four subjects as required for their trade with a minimum of 40% pass for English and Mathematics. Candidates with Physical Science on a 40% or higher pass will be seen as an added benefit.
Here is a list of the subject that will be required for each trade on N2 certificate:
- Rigger – Rigger Theory, Eng. Science, Mathematics and Eng. Drawing
- Electrician – Industrial Electronics, Mathematics, Electrical Trade Theory and Eng. Science
- Boilermaker / Welder – Eng. Science, Plater’s Theory, Mathematics and Structural / Plating Drawing
- Fitter – Machining and Fitting Trade Theory, Eng. Science, Mathematics and Eng. Drawing
- Auto Electrician – Motor Electrical Trade Theory, Eng. Science, Mathematics and Industrial Electronics
- Earth Moving / Diesel Mechanic – Diesel Trade Theory, Eng. Drawing, Mathematics and Eng. Science
- Millwright – Industrial Electronics, Mathematics, Fitter Trade Theory, Electrical Trade Theory, Eng. Technical Drawing and Eng. Science (please note this is a four year trade learnership)
Selected candidates must also pass the physical fitness assessment and RFA if required.
How to Apply for This Learnership
Candidates interested in applying with Anglo American for a learnership, can do so online once applications open. For applications and more information please see their Web Site. As you scroll down this page you will find their learnership program under the heading “Are You A Graduate”.
Once their application open candidates are welcome to apply. Candidates who have not had any contact from the company after 30 day, after the closing date, can accept their application as being unsuccessful.
Timeframe That Learnership is Open
Learnership applications open yearly in May and candidates can then apply. Candidates are reminded to ensure they apply on time, meet all stipulations and complete the application in full. All contact detail must be relevant and no late applications will be considered, so ensure you have yours in on time.